From "Jeff Rodenburg" <jeff.rodenb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Compression Implementation
Date Mon, 15 May 2006 16:31:54 GMT
Looking at this from a bit broader perspective, this opens up a bigger
conversation.

While working to implement a third-party hook-by-reflection process into the
code, the .NET 2.0 framework already contains the appropriate classes to
handle compression.  While there's a need for .NET 1.1 compliance, doing so
with a round-about method seems more like an exception approach vs. a
standard approach.

I don't mean to suggest that usage for the 1.1 Framework be abandoned; I'm
sure there is greater 1.1 usage out in the world as opposed to 2.0.
However, jumping through hoops to support 1.1 is also just a stopgap.  I
know there is a plan to move to the 2.0 Framework later on when the
java-based Lucene project hits its 2.0 definition.

Would it be worthwhile to consider a side-by-side port to the
2.0Framework?  I ported
1.4.3 to the 2.0 Framework myself last winter, and it has changed a few
underlying things as well as improved several core classes.  Having used the
2.0 Framework for the past 6 months, I would strongly suggest we consider
this as a possible solution.

Thoughts?

-- j