From "George Aroush" <geo...@aroush.net>
Subject RE: Compression Implementation
Date Mon, 15 May 2006 18:53:32 GMT
Hi Jeff,

We need compression support in Lucene.Net 1.9 using .NET 1.1 otherwise 1.9
can't be declared compatible with it's Java based index.  Beside, doing
reflection to provide a plug-in solution to a 3rd party compression isn't
hard.

Eyal already asked if he can work on this part.  I said yes but I have not
heard back from him yet.

Eyal: If you are reading this, please let us know if you are taking on this
task or not.  Thanks!

Regards,

-- George Aroush

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Rodenburg [mailto:jeff.rodenburg@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 12:32 PM
To: lucene-net-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Compression Implementation

Looking at this from a bit broader perspective, this opens up a bigger
conversation.

While working to implement a third-party hook-by-reflection process into the
code, the .NET 2.0 framework already contains the appropriate classes to
handle compression.  While there's a need for .NET 1.1 compliance, doing so
with a round-about method seems more like an exception approach vs. a
standard approach.

I don't mean to suggest that usage for the 1.1 Framework be abandoned; I'm
sure there is greater 1.1 usage out in the world as opposed to 2.0.
However, jumping through hoops to support 1.1 is also just a stopgap.  I
know there is a plan to move to the 2.0 Framework later on when the
java-based Lucene project hits its 2.0 definition.

Would it be worthwhile to consider a side-by-side port to the 2.0Framework?
I ported
1.4.3 to the 2.0 Framework myself last winter, and it has changed a few
underlying things as well as improved several core classes.  Having used the
2.0 Framework for the past 6 months, I would strongly suggest we consider
this as a possible solution.

Thoughts?

-- j