From "George Aroush" <geo...@aroush.net>
Subject RE: Lucene 2.0.0 release available
Date Tue, 30 May 2006 02:20:04 GMT
Hi Jeff and all,

We must finish 1.9 before working on 2.0 otherwise, there is no guaranty
that 2.0 will not end up with the same fait as 1.9.

Lets face it, 1.9 has been behind it's Java version release mainly because
despite my repeated call for help to finishing it off (even back at
SourceForge.net) I have yet to receive any help.  For 1.9, unlike 1.3 and
1.4 releases, NO ONE, has stepped up and offered to help (except recently
for Eyal's compression code.)

As you can tell, I am frustrated with this.  Because despite not getting any
help, I am getting private emails where folks asking me that they want to
become a committer on ASF for Lucene.Net -- when I pointed them to
http://incubator.apache.org/learn/newcommitters.html I don't hear back!!

So please folks, lets first finish off 1.9.  Take a look at the current
source code and comment on the lines that I have questions on.  Those are
found by searching for the text "Aroush".

This past weekend, I have finished the port of the Test code for 1.9 and it
is running.  About 40% of the tests are failing and some were due to bug in
the 1.9 code and the others due to bug in the port of the Test code.  In a
day or two I will release code on ASF and again will be asking for help to
finish off 1.9.

To sum-up, I don't support that we do any work on 2.0 until when we have 1.9
done, otherwise, not only will we have an incomplete 1.9 but 2.0 might end
up like 1.9, incomplete -- and thus, we will now have two incomplete
releases instead of one.

1.9 is very close to being "final" -- lets work together to finish it off
and use this opportunity to become a committer on ASF.

Regards,

-- George Aroush