From "George Aroush" <geo...@aroush.net>
Subject RE: Compression Implementation
Date Fri, 12 May 2006 13:03:04 GMT
Hi Everyone,

As Erik and everyone else pointed out, we can't include a 3rd party code
with Lucene.Net on ASF.  Also, I don't like creating a dependency on a 3rd
party code/library.  This is why I don't package NUnit with Lucene.Net
source code or binary.  Currently, like the Java version of Lucene, the Test
code has a dependency on NUnit which has confused few folks.

Eyal's suggestion is very similar to what I have been suggestion -- look for
my comment in the code.  What we need is a "hook" code which utilizes C#
reflection in Lucene.Net.  Through reflection, we can plug-in any 3rd party
compression library.  Once we move to .NET 2.0 Framework this reflection
code can be removed.

Eyal: Please go ahead and write it.  A good place to look for how to use
reflection for this task is the Snowball.Net code which is found under SVN
for Lucene.Net.

This is really one of the only missing element from Lucene.Net 1.9 to make
it fully compatible with it's Java version.  Without this support, a
compressed index created via the Java version of Lucene can't be used with
Lucene.Net

Regards,

-- George Aroush