From "Rob Tucker" <r...@i2.co.uk>
Subject RE: .NET 2.0 with Lucene.NET
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:15:39 GMT
Thanks for the quick response George,

I was assuming that 1.4 was .NET 1.1 compliant, is this not the case?
Generally, I've struggled to find information about Lucene.NET support
for .NET.  Is there somewhere where I can find it?

We're using Lucene.NET for a slightly unusual searching implementation
where it's holding information about highly structured documents in an
environment where there is the potential for a fairly high degree of
volatility in document contents and lifetimes.  The main issues we've
found with regard to efficiency is in adding and removing large number
of documents can take a long time, merging and optimising the index is
the particular challenge.  I've really got a general concern that
switching to .NET2.0 might affect this efficiency and robustness for any
number of reasons, say in changing the implementation of data
structures, file access classes or plain bugs in the framework!  From
experience, I don't tend to believe the MS marketing hype, I've always
hit upgrade problems when change OS version, runtimes etc, I don't
expect .NET 2.0 to be any different.

In general, we've got great results with Lucene.NET, I'm really looking
for an initial feel for what to expect with the move to 2.0.  Is there
information anywhere about the required changes that you've mentioned?

To be honest, I've struggled to find much information about Lucene.NET
on the ASF site, is this the main page?:
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/lucene.net.html If so, the WIKI
seems to be down.

Thanks,

Rob Tucker.