From "Jeff Rodenburg" <jeff.rodenb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: .NET 2.0 with Lucene.NET
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:19:06 GMT
We initially started running v1.4.3 with the 1.1 framework and have since
migrated over to the 2.0 framework without difficulty.  There are some
differences down in the guts, but nothing that can't be handled in
conversion.

Our index environment sounds very similar to yours - highly structured and
relatively high volatility.  In addition, we have quick turnaround on
reflected changes from the original datasource (db) being reflected in the
search index.

I would suggest initially focusing your time with understanding how the file
formats (compound vs. non-compound) and parameters like mergefactor and
maxmergedocs affect your specific index creation and production.  You may
have already done this, but I found that efficiency levels changed with
structural index changes, i.e. decisions about field population and
settings.

Depending on your available system resources, I've also noticed considerable
performance degradation when an index passes a certain size threshold, i.e.
300MB on the given system I'm working with.  (We break our aggregate index
out to multiple individual indexes for the best mix of indexing and search
performance.)

Hope this helps.

-- jeff r.