From Robert Middleton <osfan6...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: Next release
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2017 15:13:13 GMT
My understanding is that the numbers at the end of the library
version(e.g. liblog4cxx.so.10.0.0) are for the ABI version, not the
software version.  See the guide here:
https://autotools.io/libtool/version.html

They generally follow(at least somewhat) the package version, but I
think the reasoning is that if you can have two different versions of
the same library installed, and as long as they have a different ABI
they will use the appropriate version of the .so file(e.g. a program
can link with liblog4cxx.so.10, and if there is a newer version that
is not ABI compatible installed as liblog4cxx.so.11, it won't load the
ABI-incompatible version).  I think there are tools out there that can
help determine if the ABI has actually changed or not.

-Robert Middleton

On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 9:07 AM, Bonneau, Guy
<Guy.Bonneau@grassvalley.com> wrote:
> I'm not a Linux expert but I believe the convention under Linux is:
>
> liblog4cxx.so.MAJOR.MINOR.BUILD
>
> Having many years elapsed since the last liblog4cxx release I think it would be less
confusing for Linux developers using the log4cxx library to see the next version of the library
increment to 10.1.0. It makes more sense to increment the MINOR number than the BUILD number.

> Thus personaly I would prefer the next release version to be liblog4cxx.so.10.1.0
>
> Once you made up your own mind about which version numbering you will use to release
the library it is possible to commit an RC4 with the LT_VERSION set for the next release version
in file configure.ac. We would like to get a snapshot of the GIT repository and thoroughly
test the new candidate release. We have a product that uses the log4cxx library with both
Windows and Linux.

> Regards
> Guy

not the addressee of this message, you may not copy, use or deliver this message to anyone.
In such event, you should destroy the message and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail.
It is understood that opinions or conclusions that do not relate to the official business
of the company are neither given nor endorsed by the company. Thank You.