From "Bonneau, Guy" <Guy.Bonn...@grassvalley.com>
Subject Re: Re: Next release
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2017 14:07:52 GMT
I'm not a Linux expert but I believe the convention under Linux is:

liblog4cxx.so.MAJOR.MINOR.BUILD

Having many years elapsed since the last liblog4cxx release I think it would be less confusing
for Linux developers using the log4cxx library to see the next version of the library increment
to 10.1.0. It makes more sense to increment the MINOR number than the BUILD number.

Thus personaly I would prefer the next release version to be liblog4cxx.so.10.1.0

Once you made up your own mind about which version numbering you will use to release the library
it is possible to commit an RC4 with the LT_VERSION set for the next release version in file
configure.ac. We would like to get a snapshot of the GIT repository and thoroughly test the
new candidate release. We have a product that uses the log4cxx library with both Windows and
Linux.

Regards
Guy
From: Thorsten Schöning <tschoening@am-soft.de>
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2017 2:39 AM
To: Log4CXX User
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Next release

Guten Tag Bonneau, Guy,
am Mittwoch, 20. Dezember 2017 um 20:39 schrieben Sie:

> Then what value do you expect to set for the next release since it
> cannot stay the same? Since the API doesn't change do you expect to
> set LT_VERSION to have liblog4cxx.so.11.0.0 or  liblog4cxx.so.10.1.0

Why not liblog4cxx.so.10.0.1? That's how I understand the docs in
configure.ac and I could try to implement a default increment of
LT_VERSION in the release-scripts available currently.

LT_VERSION=10:1:0 -> liblog4cxx.so.10.0.1
LT_VERSION=11:0:0 -> liblog4cxx.so.11.0.0

One of those is what I would prefer. While using the last line might
be wrong if no breaking interface was introduced, auto-incrementing
it should always work as well.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

AM-SoFT IT-Systeme      https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.AM-2DSoFT.de_&d=DwIFAw&c=Bg5XULDZR8GiOSSWNlpkCsRePnGDkKcI6oYL9xv1MnQ&r=FS_sYZOzl9JFXNzFbJy3VRLa4Kton7YEcXPfx0WjQRA&m=7ruxZWW4EsXu4HsZKx1nSch1Ehj176vqus0rpZZaNwQ&s=FsSHX_5xxvAw9bCLCuwg0mY5Gqfwm9-hqb5fBIIv33Q&e=

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

DISCLAIMER:
Privileged and/or Confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not
the addressee of this message, you may not copy, use or deliver this message to anyone. In
such event, you should destroy the message and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. It
is understood that opinions or conclusions that do not relate to the official business of
the company are neither given nor endorsed by the company. Thank You.