From "Bonneau, Guy" <Guy.Bonn...@grassvalley.com>
Subject Re: Re: Next release
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2017 20:28:38 GMT
I am using the sources from the GIT commit with tag v0.11.0-RC3 . I took a snapshot of it.
I generate the configuration script with the autogen.sh script and then do the make.

I am not familiar with the autotool and autoconf tool. I am only trying to compile the RC3
under Ubuntu 16.04 and a custom Gentoo distribution. I am successful to compile but the version
of the shared library is liblog4cxx.so.10.0.0. The same as the previous release. I have had
to change LT_VERSION=10:0:0 to  LT_VERSION=11:0:1 to have the linker make the version of the
shared library to liblog4cxx.so.10.1.0. But I don't know why and the documentation is not
clear either for me.

Maybe a user who has a good understanding of autoconf could provide some info about this.

Thanks
GB

From: Thorsten Schöning <tschoening@am-soft.de>
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 1:16 PM
To: Log4CXX User
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: Next release

Guten Tag Bonneau, Guy,
am Dienstag, 19. Dezember 2017 um 17:37 schrieben Sie:

> I am trying to compile under Ubuntu and Gentoo the apache log4cxx
> next stable release at:
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__logging.apache.org_log4cxx_next-5Fstable_download.html&d=DwIFAw&c=Bg5XULDZR8GiOSSWNlpkCsRePnGDkKcI6oYL9xv1MnQ&r=FS_sYZOzl9JFXNzFbJy3VRLa4Kton7YEcXPfx0WjQRA&m=rFrmQKDpBZ5P7SKkJxalFd0HXDba6ejzdg8sSiLitD8&s=BEKKlnIKDfEU8Eb9kO2IJTxwGniY5c8FYoCxzGXr1cs&e=
 .

With which files are you testing? That page mentions files not
existing currently und there's no "next_stable" branch in the sources.
Are you simply testing with master?

> I saw
> that the shared library are still created with versionning .10.
> Shouln't the definition of variable LT_VERSION in  configure.ac be incremented to version
11 ?

I wasn't sure how this thing is used, because from my understanding of
the docs above that line I had the feeling that 10:1:0 should be used
next, because we have no breaking interfaces I'm aware of. Looking at
the history of that thing, it seems to only be increased by one.

So what is the correct usage? I didn't find any useful docs.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

AM-SoFT IT-Systeme      https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.AM-2DSoFT.de_&d=DwIFAw&c=Bg5XULDZR8GiOSSWNlpkCsRePnGDkKcI6oYL9xv1MnQ&r=FS_sYZOzl9JFXNzFbJy3VRLa4Kton7YEcXPfx0WjQRA&m=rFrmQKDpBZ5P7SKkJxalFd0HXDba6ejzdg8sSiLitD8&s=-FgxyhFjtdt1u36K4LTSEs8yfSL_NasfmEHEG_H46Zg&e=

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

DISCLAIMER:
Privileged and/or Confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not
the addressee of this message, you may not copy, use or deliver this message to anyone. In
such event, you should destroy the message and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. It
is understood that opinions or conclusions that do not relate to the official business of
the company are neither given nor endorsed by the company. Thank You.