From "Jacob L. Anawalt" <janaw...@geckosoftware.com>
Subject Re: Limiting the number of backups with time-triggered rollover
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2016 22:51:59 GMT
Hi,

On 2016-03-07 2:05 PM, Bois, Bernard wrote:
> I'd like to know if it is possible to specify a maximum number of backups when a
> time-triggered rollover policy is used.

I don't believe there is a default configuration that works like that.

Perhaps you could make a policy object that does rolling like the
FixedWindowRollingPolicy but uses the TriggeringPolicy from the
TimeBasedRollingPolicy.

> It appears both classes supporting time-based rollovers
> (DailyRollingFileAppender and rolling::RollingFileAppender) do not have such an
> option.

You need to look at the RollingPolicy implementation of
rolling::RollingFileAppender to find that. The FixedWindowRollingPolicy has a
max (and min) index used to rename a fixed number of backup files.

--
Jacob Anawalt
Gecko Software, Inc.