From Kendal Montgomery <montgomer...@armadapower.com>
Subject log4cxx configuration...
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2015 19:42:54 GMT
I'm curious if anyone else has tried or has issues with configuring
logging levels for specific loggers in a log4cxx.xml file?  I have the
following log4cxx.xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/">
     <!-- Output the log message to system console.
      -->
     <appender name="CONSOLE" class="org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender">
         <param name="Target" value="System.out"/>
             <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d{ISO8601} %-5p
[%t] %c{2} - %m%n" />
         </layout>
     </appender>

     <root>
         <level value="INFO" />
         <appender-ref ref="CONSOLE"/>
     </root>

     <!--
     <category name="Outstation.Messaging">
         <priority value ="DEBUG" />
     </category>
     -->
     <logger name="Outstation.Messaging">
         <level value="DEBUG" />
     </logger>

     <logger name="Outstation.Messaging.TestHandler">
         <level value="DEBUG" />
     </logger>

</log4j:configuration>

I have a logger configured in my code with the name
"Outstation.Messaging.TestHandler". I'm used to using log4j and if I
configured it this way, all messages that did not have a specific
priority set would be logged at level INFO, but with this configuration,
anything with Outstation.Messaging or lower should be logged at level
DEBUG, and specifically the logger i have defined in my code that I
mention above should log DEBUG level messages to the console.  However,
this is not happening; I get nothing but INFO all around.  If I change
the root logger level to DEBUG, I get everything logging at DEBUG level,
but finer grained logger configuration doesn't seem to work.  Does
log4cxx not use hierarchical logger configuration separated by a period
like java?

Any ideas?  I'm using 0.10.0.

Thanks in advance.

Kendal.