From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Compilation warning under Visual Studio 2008
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2011 04:37:31 GMT
If I remember correctly and it has been a long time, you will get these messages anytime you
pass an STL template expansion as an argument or return value across of DLL boundary. As long
as the STL instance is not free'd or reallocated by the caller (who would have a separate
instance of the RTL), things should be fine. I don't believe that you would ever have that
scenario in typical use of log4cxx, but if you really wanted to try, you might be able find
a way to do it. Since object destruction is controlled by reference counting, the memory reclamation
should always happen in the right STL.

On Aug 22, 2011, at 8:19 AM, Simon Callan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’ve just started using log4cxx 0.10, apr-1.4.5 and apr-util-1-3.12 under Visual Studio
2008.

> When I compile my project t in release mode, I get the following warnings:
>
> warning C4275: non dll-interface class 'std::_Container_base_aux' used as base for dll-interface
class 'std::_Container_base_aux_alloc_real<_Alloc>'
> warning C4251: 'std::_Container_base_aux_alloc_real<_Alloc>::_Alaux' : class 'std::allocator<_Ty>'
needs to have dll-interface to be used by clients of class 'std::_Container_base_aux_alloc_real<_Alloc>'

> There appears to have been some effort to suppress the output of these warnings (#pragma
disable warning 4275 4251). Are these warning likely to be symptoms of problems to come using
log4cxx, or can I ignore them with no issues?