From "Jacob L. Anawalt" <janaw...@geckosoftware.com>
Subject Re: SyslogAppender not working
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2011 17:40:31 GMT
On 2/16/2011 2:09 AM, security veteran wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use log4cxx to log messages to a remote syslog server.
> To begin with, I tried to log the message to the local syslog server
> for a simple testing.

I use a SyslogAppender, but my configuration is different so I can't
do a quick apples to apples comparison.

Verify that you can log locally and remotely using the logger command
(assuming some kind of UNIX like environment) or similar.

http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?logger+1

Try a simple log4cxx program that configures it all programatically.
The following works for me:

// g++ -o syslogAppender syslogAppender.cpp -llog4cxx
//
#include <log4cxx/logger.h>
#include <log4cxx/basicconfigurator.h>
#include <log4cxx/patternlayout.h>
#include <log4cxx/net/syslogappender.h>

int
main(void)
{
         log4cxx::BasicConfigurator::configure();

         log4cxx::LayoutPtr l(new log4cxx::PatternLayout(
                 "%-4r %-5p %c %x - %m"));
         log4cxx::net::SyslogAppenderPtr a(
                 new log4cxx::net::SyslogAppender(l
                 ,log4cxx::net::SyslogAppender::getFacility("DAEMON")));
         a->setSyslogHost("127.0.0.1");
         a->activateOptions();

         log4cxx::LoggerPtr logger(log4cxx::Logger::getLogger("MyApp"));
         logger->addAppender(a);

         while(true) {
                 LOG4CXX_INFO(logger,"beep");
                 sleep(15);