From Moshe Matitya <Moshe.Mati...@xconnect.net>
Subject RE: Installing log4cxx on Linux with Ant
Date Thu, 22 Oct 2009 20:16:04 GMT
No, not really.  install-sh is not a script for installing log4cxx, it's just a general utility
that does little more than copy a specified file from one place to another.  In order to use
install-sh to install log4cxx, I'd first need to know exactly which files are supposed to
be installed, and where.  This information is not documented anywhere that I know of.  And
if I were to take the time and trouble to figure out that information, then install-sh would
provide very little advantage over simply using cp and chmod.

It seems to me that there ought to be some way to install log4cxx using Ant, just like there
is with Make.  I can't be the first person who's run into this problem.  How does everyone
else install log4cxx on Linux/Unix?

Moshe

________________________________
From: Cory Riddell [cory@codeware.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2009 8:30 PM
To: Log4CXX User
Subject: Re: Installing log4cxx on Linux with Ant

Does the install-sh script do what you want?

Moshe Matitya wrote:
I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to figure out how to install log4cxx on Linux with Ant.

In the past, when installing log4cxx 0.9.7 on a Linux machine, I would build and install it
using Make, as follows:  To build it, I would run the following commands:
            autogen.sh
            configure
            make
Then, to install it, I would simply run:
            make install
This would install all the library files, include files, etc., in their proper locations.

Now, however, I am using log4cxx 0.10.0, which I build using Ant.  The default target in the
Ant build script compiles and links the sources, and runs the unit tests.  However, I don't
see how one is supposed to then install it, and I can't find any instructions about how to
do this in the documentation.

There doesn't seem to be a target in the Ant build script called "install", or anything similar.
 So how does one install log4cxx when using Ant?

Thanks,

Moshe Z. Matitya
XConnect Global Networks