From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to build simplesocketserver binary file?
Date Wed, 25 Mar 2009 01:59:17 GMT

On Mar 24, 2009, at 10:19 AM, Moley Harey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have downloaded apache-log4cxx-0.10.0.tar.gz from ApacheĊ› log4cxx
> web site and built the lib using the commands: configure, make, make
> install
>
> After that the lirbrary has been successfully built but the binary
> file "simplesocketserver" has not been generated :/
>
> How can I get that?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mh

In log4cxx 0.10, the binary format for the SocketAppender was changed
to be compatible with log4j 1.2's, so that Chainsaw and any other
application that could connect to log4j's SocketAppender.  However,
that support is write-only, it is fairly simple to write something
that log4j can consume, but massively complicated to consume anything
the log4j might produce.  Since there log4cxx was compatible with
log4j's binary format and log4j provides SocketReceivers,
simplesocketserver was dropped.

Also, The log4cxx 0.9.7 wire format was not platform independent, a
x86_64 build could not connect to a x86 build or a little-endian to a
big-endian.