logging-log4cxx-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Fabian Jacquet" <fabian.jacq...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: MS Visual Studio 2008 LNK2005 and LNK4006 errors and warnings that seem to be associated with log4cxx
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2008 08:41:24 GMT
Hello,

I have the same problem.
I tested log4cxx compiled in static mode with a little command line program
and all was ok.
So now I try to use log4cxx in my big program using GUI and MFC and I have
the same link error.

I'm searching about a solution. If you find before me please contact me.
Thank you.

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 03:51, Hale, Elaine <Elaine_Hale@nrel.gov> wrote:

>  Hello,
>
>
>
> I was writing and running some tests for a project that uses log4cxx and
> some other third party libraries, and received the following linking errors
> upon adding the line
>
>
>
> ::std::deque<::std::string> textSnippets;
>
>
>
> to my testing header file (the errors go away if I comment it out):
>
>
>
> 4>Linking...
>
> 4>LINK :
> C:\projects\pathfinders\cpp\utilities\projects\lib\Debug\ApplicationUtilities_Tests.exe
> not found or not built by the last incremental link; performing full link
>
> 4>ApplicationUtilities.lib(log4cxx.dll) : error LNK2005: "public: void
> __thiscall std::allocator<class std::basic_string<char,struct
> std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > >::destroy(class
> std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class
> std::allocator<char> > *)" (?destroy@?$allocator@V?$basic_string@DU
> ?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@std@@QAEXPAV?$basic_string@DU
> ?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@2@@Z) already defined in
> ApplicationUtilities_Tests.obj
>
> 4>ApplicationUtilities.lib(log4cxx.dll) : error LNK2005: "protected:
> __thiscall std::_Container_base_aux_alloc_empty<class std::allocator<class
> std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class
> std::allocator<char> > > >::~_Container_base_aux_alloc_empty<class
> std::allocator<class std::basic_string<char,struct
> std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > > >(void)"
> (??1?$_Container_base_aux_alloc_empty@V?$allocator@V?$basic_string@DU
> ?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@std@@@std@@IAE@XZ) already
> defined in ApplicationUtilities_Tests.obj
>
> 4>ApplicationUtilities.lib(log4cxx.dll) : error LNK2005: "public: void
> __thiscall std::allocator<class std::basic_string<char,struct
> std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > >::deallocate(class
> std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class
> std::allocator<char> > *,unsigned int)" (?deallocate@?$allocator@V
> ?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@std@
> @QAEXPAV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@2@I@Z)
> already defined in ApplicationUtilities_Tests.obj
>
> 4>C:\projects\pathfinders\cpp\utilities\projects\lib\Debug\ApplicationUtilities_Tests.exe
> : fatal error LNK1169: one or more multiply defined symbols found
>
>
>
> General online help concerning LNK2005 errors associated with the standard
> template library suggests checking that all of the runtime libraries (under
> Properties->C++->Code Generation) in all dependencies are identical.  So I
> did that, and they all seem to be set identically to Multi-threaded Debug
> DLL (/MDd) (in the debug versions).  That includes my log4cxx and other
> third-party builds.
>
>
>
> I therefore tried to isolate the problem by creating a small project that
> reproduces the errors.  I didn't quite succeed, but I did get the following
> warnings, which seem very similar to the LNK2005 errors above, from a simple
> library that uses log4cxx.lib and deque<string>:
>
>
>
> 1>------ Rebuild All started: Project: StdLibLinkingBug, Configuration:
> Debug Win32 ------
>
> 1>Deleting intermediate and output files for project 'StdLibLinkingBug',
> configuration 'Debug|Win32'
>
> 1>Compiling...
>
> 1>StdLibLinkingBug.cpp
>
> 1>Creating library...
>
> 1>StdLibLinkingBug.obj : warning LNK4006: "protected: __thiscall
> std::_Container_base_aux_alloc_empty<class std::allocator<class
> std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class
> std::allocator<char> > > >::~_Container_base_aux_alloc_empty<class
> std::allocator<class std::basic_string<char,struct
> std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > > >(void)"
> (??1?$_Container_base_aux_alloc_empty@V?$allocator@V?$basic_string@DU
> ?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@std@@@std@@IAE@XZ) already
> defined in log4cxx.lib(log4cxx.dll); second definition ignored
>
> 1>StdLibLinkingBug.obj : warning LNK4006: "public: void __thiscall
> std::allocator<class std::basic_string<char,struct
> std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > >::deallocate(class
> std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class
> std::allocator<char> > *,unsigned int)" (?deallocate@?$allocator@V
> ?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@std@
> @QAEXPAV?$basic_string@DU?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@2@I@Z)
> already defined in log4cxx.lib(log4cxx.dll); second definition ignored
>
> 1>StdLibLinkingBug.obj : warning LNK4006: "public: void __thiscall
> std::allocator<class std::basic_string<char,struct
> std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > >::destroy(class
> std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class
> std::allocator<char> > *)" (?destroy@?$allocator@V?$basic_string@DU
> ?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@@std@@QAEXPAV?$basic_string@DU
> ?$char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@2@@Z) already defined in
> log4cxx.lib(log4cxx.dll); second definition ignored
>
> 1>Build log was saved at
> "file://c:\projects\pathfinders\cpp\utilities\projects\debugging\StdLibLinkingBug\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
>
> 1>StdLibLinkingBug - 0 error(s), 3 warning(s)
>
> ========== Rebuild All: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========
>
>
>
> Since writing similar small programs with the other third party libraries
> I'm using did not produce anything similar to the LNK2005 errors, I am
> guessing that log4cxx is the culprit.
>
>
>
> Other (possibly) useful information:
>
> -          the warnings and errors do not go away if I replace
> deque<string> with vector<string>, but they do go away if I replace
> deque<string> with deque<int>
>
> -          the original problem cropped up in a series of dependent static
> library projects that were finally linked into a .exe.  Basically the
> situation is something like (where x -> y means y uses or is dependent on
> x):
>
> log4cxx -> lib1 (log4cxx wrapper for outputing log messages) -> lib2 ->
> lib3 (which declares a deque<string> and configures log4cxx loggers); lib2
> and lib3 -> exe (which gives linking errors when it declares a
> deque<string>)
>
> -          the code for the small library that produced the LNK4006
> warnings follows.  The .vsproj file lists log4cxx as a dependency.  The
> warnings go away if this listing is removed.
>
>
>
> // StdLibLinkingBug.h
>
>
>
> #include <deque>
>
> #include <string>
>
>
>
> #ifndef STDLIBLINKINGBUG_H
>
> #define STDLIBLINKINGBUG_H
>
>
>
> void functionThatLogs(std::deque<std::string>);
>
>
>
> #endif // STDLIBLINKINGBUG_H
>
>
>
> // StdLibLinkingBug.cpp
>
>
>
> #include "StdLibLinkingBug.h"
>
> #include <log4cxx/logger.h>
>
>
>
> using namespace std;
>
> using namespace log4cxx;
>
>
>
> LoggerPtr logger(Logger::getLogger("StdLibLinkingBug"));
>
>
>
> void functionThatLogs(std::deque<std::string> aStringDeque)
>
> {
>
>   LOG4CXX_WARN(logger,"A silly message " << aStringDeque.at(0))
>
> }
>
>
>
> Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.  This bug has me
> stumped!
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Elaine
>
>
>
> Elaine T. Hale, Ph.D.
>
> Buildings and Thermal Systems Center
>
> National Renewable Energy Laboratory
>
>
>
> elaine_hale@nrel.gov
>
> 303-384-7812
>
> MS 4111
>

Mime
View raw message