From "Unnikrishnan Udinoor" <uudin...@Brocade.COM>
Subject RE: Problem with RollingFileAppender only retaining 14 files.
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2008 17:04:51 GMT
Hi Andy,

Looks like the MaxBackupIndex is hardcoded to 12 for log4cxx as the
renaming of all the files is required for every rollover.

Here is the email form Dale sometime back on the similar issue.
Hope this helps

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 4:33 PM, Peter Steele <psteele@maxiscale.com>
wrote:
> We use a RollingFileAppender defined as follows:
>

>    <appender name="FILE" class="org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender">
>
>        <param name="maxFileSize" value="200MB" />
>
>        <param name="maxBackupIndex" value="20" />
>
>        <param name="File" value="${LOGNAME}" />
>
>        <param name="Append" value="false"/>
>
>        <layout class="org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout">
>
>            <param name="ConversionPattern"
>
>                value="%d{MM-dd HH:mm:ss.SSS} %5p %c{1} - %m%n" />
>
>        </layout>
>
>    </appender>
>

> It works fine, except that the maxBackupIndex appears to top out at
> 13, even though we have 20 specified. Are we doing something wrong or
> is 13 a hard coded maximum for this field?

12 is a hardcoded limit because this requires renames of all backup
files which is expensive .

--
Dale King