Ok, digging deeper into the library I see LoggerPtr is an ObjPtr and not a true pointer.

Thanks.

----- Original Message ----
From: Stephen Bartnikowski <sbartnikowski@barkinglizards.com>
To: Log4CXX User <log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2008 12:16:39 PM
Subject: RE: Forward Declaration

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it will. In Test.hpp, the compiler doesn't know what type LoggerPtr is. Since you're referring to that type directly rather than by a pointer, the compiler needs to know the full details. It doesn't know that in reality it's a pointer type defined elsewhere. If for example, your code instead read:

class Test {
private:
    static log4cxx::LoggerPtr* _logger;

then the compiler wouldn't complain.