From "Dale King" <dalewk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: TimeBased + SizeBased
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:28:23 GMT
You can't with log4cxx as it exists. You don't want TimeBasedRollingPolicy.
You want SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy with FixedWindowRollingPolicy. But
FixedWindowRollingPolicy only supports the index format specifier. If you
subclassed FixedWindowRollingPolicy  and overrode getFormatSpecifiers to be
something like this:

  PatternMap specs;
  RULES_PUT("i", IntegerPatternConverter);
  RULES_PUT("index", IntegerPatternConverter);
  RULES_PUT("d", FileDatePatternConverter);
  RULES_PUT("date", FileDatePatternConverter);
  return specs;

You could get close. I'll bet though it probably will not work completely
like you think it will. For instance it will only start a new log file when
the size is exceeded. So if there are few messages you could have the same
log file for weeks.

I think there is definitely some room for improvement in the area of
policies. For example, TimeBasedRollingPolicy cannot be used as a triggering
policy unless it is also the rolling policy. If you do, once it triggers it
will trigger for every message thereafter.

--
Dale King