From Shane Baker <sba...@xtier.com>
Subject RE: File system full causes log4cxx to crash
Date Sat, 20 Sep 2008 18:17:15 GMT
I have a couple of comments:

1.  The RollingFileAppender allows you to know a priori exactly how much
disk space is required.  Is there an amount of space you can be sure will
exist?  Worst case, if you own the environment, you could create a
partition and log there.
2.  I think a default behavior of deleting the oldest logs in this
situation would be a bad idea - stop logging would be better.  A disk full
situation may be the result of an application error or some kind of DoS
attack, the details of which might be logged and subsequently lost if the
oldest logs are deleted.  This behavior seems like it could be
configurable but, by default, I would not delete existing logs.

These aren't the comments you're looking for, I'm sure, but I have never
run into this problem before so I cannot provide a real solution.

You didn't mention how it is that you know that log4cxx is the cause of
the crash.  Is the crash from any log write when the volume is full, or
does it happen when the log attempts to roll?  You didn't mention what
Unix and version you are using.  This would be helpful to attempt to
reproduce.

Sorry I can't be more help to your particular problem, but I wanted to
weigh in on the possible solution implementation.