From Conway Allen <Allen.Con...@atosorigin.com>
Subject RE: How to config log4cxx to delete the log files periodically
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2008 13:19:05 GMT
I suppose that if it were possible to define a callback that would be invoked when a roll-over
takes place it would be possible to do the kind of housekeeping he wants without needing to
use the crontab...

regards, Allen.

From: Dale King [mailto:dalewking@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, September 13, 2008 4:20 PM
To: Log4CXX User
Subject: Re: How to config log4cxx to delete the log files periodically

Log4Cxx does not have this capability. It only lets you specify a max number of files when
using the size based rolling policy. This is not an arbitrary decision. There is no good way
to accomplish what you want. How is log4cxx supposed to know what files it can delete? Log4cxx
maintains no history of what files it has created in the past.

I suggest you create a daily job that deletes log files that are more than 31 days old based
on creation date.
On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 2:45 AM, Jathy <xuehai.fan@yahoo.com<mailto:xuehai.fan@yahoo.com>>
wrote:

Anybody has any idea about the below question? Waiting online...

Jathy wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> In my project, I need produce one log file per day and delete the log
> files periodically so that at most 31 files are stored. I used
> DailyRollingFileAppender, it helped me to reach my first goal easily. But
> how to config it to delete the log files automatically? Thanks.
>
> Regard,
> Jathy

Dale King

________________________________

Ce message et les pi?ces jointes sont confidentiels et r?serv?s ? l'usage exclusif de ses
destinataires. Il peut ?galement ?tre prot?g? par le secret professionnel. Si vous recevez
ce message par erreur, merci d'en avertir imm?diatement l'exp?diteur et de le d?truire. L'int?grit?
du message ne pouvant ?tre assur?e sur Internet, la responsabilit? du groupe Atos Origin ne
pourra ?tre recherch?e quant au contenu de ce message. Bien que les meilleurs efforts soient
faits pour maintenir cette transmission exempte de tout virus, l'exp?diteur ne donne aucune
garantie ? cet ?gard et sa responsabilit? ne saurait ?tre recherch?e pour tout dommage r?sultant
d'un virus transmis.

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee;
and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Atos Origin group
liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain
a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free
and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.