From Alex Rosenbaum <Alex.Rosenb...@thomsonreuters.com>
Subject RE: TimeBased + SizeBased
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2008 16:54:57 GMT
Dale,

many thanks for your reply. I agree with all your notes about policy
behaviours.

For the last couple of days I've been trying to achieve the needed
behavior by using SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy in combination with
subclassed FixedWindowRolling policy.

You were right, it did not work that easy. First, as many other classes,
FixedWindowRolling policy has all its members private, so subclassing it
is a challenge. Try changing pattern formatter. It expectes to find
Integer Formatter and if it does not find it, it throws an exceptions.

I resorted into subclassing RollingPolicyBase and putting most of
existing Fixed Window code into my new class. I had a problem with few
base apr features that are not exported from the dll, like
RolloverDescription and FileRenameAction. I has to include their source
code into my project to fix that.

At the end I think I'd be better off putting all my classes inside of
log4cxx, which probably sends you a signal about its design.

Thank you anyway, appreciate what you are trying to do here.

ar