From "Jacob L. Anawalt" <janaw...@geckosoftware.com>
Subject Re: File system full causes log4cxx to crash
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2008 21:31:43 GMT
On 2008-09-23 11:21, Peter Steele wrote:
> /mnt: write failed, filesystem is full
> 'log4cxx::helpers::IOException'
>   what():  IO Exception : status code = 28
> Abort trap: 6 (core dumped)

I'm stumped here. The only places I see an IOException thrown in 0.9.7 code are:

* datagramsocket.cpp
* properties.cpp

There are some child classes, InterruptedIOException and SocketTimeoutException,
and then children of those all defined in socketimpl.h. Since my sample app was
using a FileAppender, I don't get how an IOException is thrown.

> Unfortunately, despite it saying a core was dumped, there doesn't seem
> to be a core file. Not sure how to proceed from here.

Probably a limit you can configure with your shell. In bash it's ulimit -c
unlimited to get full core dumps and ulimit -a to see the settings (0 bytes by
default on my shell.) It and gdb might not be helpful anyway if your log4cxx
library is stripped of debugging symbols. If you do pursue getting a core,
please don't send it to me :). Install gdb and get the stack trace.

I'm hoping someone else chimes in with ideas. I guess as a second test, you
could try my non-log4cxx program against that full filesystem. Maybe modify a
copy of it to try with an fstream. Both should fail gracefully.

--
Jacob Anawalt
Gecko Software, Inc.