From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: MAKE error : While compiling trivial.cpp:Urgent
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2008 06:04:29 GMT

On Jun 19, 2008, at 10:56 PM, srkraju wrote:

> Still I am unable to solve this make error. Please suggest any
> modifications required in trivial.cpp
> Can use the libraries(like log4cxx,apr-1.2.2, aprutil-1.2.2) which
> are built in g++4.x  in 3.x .
>

> thanks& regards
> srkraju

I had no problems on CentOS 4.5 (gcc 3.4.6) which is my closest
approximation to your environment.  I am using apr 1.2.12 and apr-
util-1.2.12, but that should have no impact on a compile error.

Have you made any local modifications, particularly to log4cxx/helpers/
messagebuffer.h?  That file had been a concern when you were
attempting to build with gcc 2.96.

As far as I can tell, gcc 3.4.3 was in the original RHEL 4 but was
upgraded to gcc 3.4.4 in "Update 2".

If you are still seeing the issue, time for some experimentation.  The
error is indicating that log4cxx::helpers::MessageBuffer is not
defined, this class is referenced by an expansion of the LOG4CXX_DEBUG
and similar macros.

Try the following experiments:

1. #if 0 out all the LOG4CXX_DEBUG and similar macros removing all the
logging requests.  Run make.  Would expect no compile issues.

2. Add the following line to trivial.cpp at the same place as the #if
0'd logging requests

      ::log4cxx::helpers::MessageBuffer oss;

Attempt to build.  This should fail with the same type of warning.

3. Try removing the leading :: in the preceding line.  If that
compiles while the previous line fails, then remove the leading ::
from the macro definitions in logger.h.

If anyone has similar reports or wants to report no problems with gcc
3.4.3 please speak up.  From what I can tell, it is either a compiler
specific issue or a local modification.