From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: URGENT compliation error of sample program (test.cpp)
Date Sat, 14 Jun 2008 20:14:34 GMT

On Jun 14, 2008, at 8:24 AM, Dale King wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 2:51 AM, srkraju <ramaras@cmcltd.com> wrote:
>> Though its giving the same error.
>> I downloaded Ant-1.6.5. and extracted into
>> /home/facts/Test/apache-ant-1.6.5/ directory.
>>
>> g++  test.cpp -I/home/facts/Test/apache-log4cxx-0.10.0/src/main/
>> include
>> -L/home/facts/Test/apache-ant-1.6.5/lib/
>
> -L tells the linker where to look for libraries. You have to actually
> specify what libraries to look for as well using the -l option.
>
> So if your directory had libfoo.so in it that you needed to link with,
> you would add -l foo to your command line.

Apache Ant is a build tool implemented in Java.  You are placing the
library directory of that product which contains only Java .jar files
in the search path of a linker command that operates on .so, .a, .la
or the like.  That accomplishes nothing.  log4cxx does provides for
itself both autotools build script (the common approach for Unix
environments) and an Ant based build script that is used for Unix and
other platforms.  However, what build script used to build your
application is independent.

What you likely should do is run:

cd apache-log4cxx-0.10.0
make
sudo make install

which will build log4cxx and then "install" it to /usr/local/lib.

Then you should be able to do:

g++ test.cpp -llog4cxx

(unlikely, but if it can't find log4cxx add a -L/usr/local/lib).