From "Dale King" <dalewk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problem using RollingFileAppender
Date Fri, 16 May 2008 13:25:34 GMT
It's designed that way. Since you are using a properties file I assume
you are using the RollingFileAppender as opposed to the
rolling.RollingFileAppender. The latter is a better replacement that
is more generic, but it can't be configured from a properties file.

This more generic one uses a RollingPolicy and TriggeringPolicy. The
one that you are using is implemented using  the more generic one
(it's actually a subclss). In the documentation for its
FixedWindowRollingPolicy which is what does the renaming, at
http://logging.apache.org/log4cxx/apidocs/index.html it contains this
text:

"Given that this rollover algorithm requires as many file renaming
operations as the window size, large window sizes are discouraged. The
current implementation will automatically reduce the window size to 12
when larger values are specified by the user."

If you looked at the Log for Log4Cxx itself you should probably see a
message that says:

"Large window sizes are not allowed."

There currently is no way to override this maximum other than edit the
enum constant in FixedWindowRollingPolicy.

--
Dale King