From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Individual logging output of multiple objects to multiple files
Date Thu, 08 May 2008 19:08:59 GMT

On May 8, 2008, at 12:22 PM, Michael Dürr wrote:

> Hi Dale and Arnold,
>
> thanks a lot for your support. The idea to log from the beginning
> into different files was motivated by the size a single log file
> would have (up to 8GB) after a single run). But actually I have not
> thought at all about post processing the data which probably could
> take quite long. I'll give it a try.
> Thanks also for the advice to use the MultiFileAppender. I'll
> definitely have a look at it!
>
> Cheers,
> Michael

MultiFileAppender is not a viable choice at the moment since it is
just a skeleton implementation in the log4j sandbox.  Let alone
something that has been tested in log4j and ported to log4cxx.
However, it is the right design for an appender that needs to write to
distinct files per thread or some other criteria.  The reason I
brought it into the conversation was the need for you to get that
"criteria" (in this case an object ID) into the logging event which
would be needed regardless of whether you were using an MFA or a
FileAppender with post-processing.

If file size is your problem, then you could use a RollingFileAppender
with a sized based triggering policy.

Logging 8 GB per run seems like you are collecting more information
that you could practically analyze.