From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Use of operator<<
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:42:11 GMT

On Mar 18, 2008, at 10:25 AM, Stephen Bartnikowski wrote:

> Hi Josh,
>
> As far as I can tell support was dropped for those macros, which
> made me sad
> too. But it's not too hard to cook up some macros of your own. I did
> it like
> this:
>
> #define LOGGING_DEBUG(message) { \
>   if ((*pLogger)->isDebugEnabled()) {\
>      log4cxx::logstream oss(*pLogger, log4cxx::Level::getDebug());\
>      oss.setLocation(LOG4CXX_LOCATION);\
>      oss << message;\
>      oss.end_message();}}
>
> This assumes you have the following declared and initialized:
> log4cxx::LoggerPtr* pLogger;
>
> Hope this helps you out. I don't know if there's an official way for
> doing
> this.
>
> - Stephen

Support for operator<< in the logging macros was restored last
September.  It had been dropped since it was not obvious how to allow
the macros to work with both wide and byte character strings, but a
lot of experimentation hopefully results in a reasonable solution that
avoids the surprising expensive cost of std::basic_ostream
construction for simple streams and uses the compiler to determine
whether to use wide characters based on the first argument.

logstream and the insertional operator support inside the LOG4CXX_
macros serve different goals.  The logstream was designed so you could
pass it into methods that expected a std::basic_ostream or you could
perform a complicated set up involving field widths etc and then reuse
it multiple times.  The insertion operator support is to simplify
formatting that occurs within the scope of one logging request.

Steven, it would be helpful if you could redefine your current macros
in terms of the LOG4CXX_ macros and see if there are any unexpected
problems.

I'll add some text to the documentation before building the next
release candidate.