From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What is status of log4cxx and chainsaw
Date Sat, 08 Mar 2008 17:55:47 GMT

On Mar 6, 2008, at 8:57 PM, Dale King wrote:

> What is the status of using Log4Cxx 0.10.0 RC2 with the current
> version of chainsaw? Here is my experience:
>
> - Reading an XMLLayout log file created by log4cxx, works perfectly
> including location information and MDC properties (when turned on in
> the layout).
> - Using an XMLSocketAppender wroks but I get no location information
> or MDC properties on the chainsaw side and I get annoying trace
> messages from chainsaw in the log for looking up the entities because
> it shows up in the chainsaw log
> - SocketAppender works, but once again no location information or
> MDC properties
> - SocketHubAppender connects, but then does nothing. I get no loging
> pane.
>
> Is this the expected behavior? I found the properties on
> XMLSocketAppender to turn on location information, but it did not seem
> to matter. My configuration file looks like this:
>
> log4j.rootLogger=TRACE, A1, socketLogger
>
> log4j.appender.A1=org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
>
> log4j.appender.A1.filename=log.xml
> log4j.appender.A1.layout=org.apache.log4j.XmlLayout
> log4j.appender.A1.layout.properties=true
> log4j.appender.A1.layout.locationinfo=true
>
> log4j.appender.socketLogger=org.apache.log4j.net.XMLSocketAppender
> log4j.appender.socketLogger.RemoteHost=localhost
> log4j.appender.socketLogger.Port=4448
> log4j.appender.socketLogger.locationinfo=true
>

> --
> Dale King

If by "current version of Chainsaw", you mean the version available
from WebStart, then location  info will be lost since that version was
built using log4j 1.3 which used an serialization format incompatible
with log4j 1.2 which log4cxx emulates.  The current SVN HEAD of
Chainsaw is designed to be built with log4j 1.2.15 or later and should
be able to accept location information from log4j 1.2.x or log4cxx
0.10.x.  Pushing Chainsaw to release is the next major release push.

I have tested Chainsaw with log4cxx's SocketAppender, but don't recall
if I tried SocketHubAppender.