From renny.ko...@rubixinfotech.com
Subject Re: [VOTE] log4cxx 0.10.0 release candidate
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2008 14:56:15 GMT
Found a couple of issues on Solaris 8 with Sun One Studio:

Issue 1. The "ant" build doesn't work
===========================
It gives errors about nested comments in the project element.  I also
noticed that ant thinks we're trying to build on Windows.  The command I
used was:

      ant -Dapr.dir=/export/home/renny/apr-1.2.12
-Dapr-util.dir=/export/home/renny/apr-util-1.2.12 -Dcompiler=CC
-Ddebug=true

This is with the latest ant.

So... I switched to the autoconf/automake build...

Issue 2. Most of the headers that use LOG4CXX_PTR_DEF have a semicolon (;)
following the invocation of that macro.
Unfortunately, Sun Studio sees this as an error, and stops.  I fixed it by
running the following command, which removed the semi-colon following the
invocation of the macro.  I also noticed that some files already had the
correct usage.

      find . -name \*.h|xargs grep -l "PTR_DEF.*;$"| xargs -i -t  perl -i
-p -e "s/(PTR_DEF[^;]*);$/\1/" {}

The only one that was missed was smtpappender.h, which apparently has lots
of spaces after the invokation, thereby causing my search/replace to fail
on it (I had not antcipated that).  So I manually edited the file:
      src/main/include/log4cxx/net/smtpappender.h

Right now I'm stuck on some locale issues... will keep posting updates as I
have them.

Renny Koshy
President & CEO

RUBIX Information Technologies, Inc.
www.rubixinfotech.com

             Curt Arnold
             <carnold@apache.o
             rg>                                                        To
                                       Log4CXX Dev
             02/23/2008 04:36          <log4cxx-dev@logging.apache.org>
                                       Log4CXX User
                                       <log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org>,
             Please respond to         Logging General
              "Log4CXX User"           <general@logging.apache.org>
             <log4cxx-user@log                                     Subject
             ging.apache.org>          [VOTE] log4cxx 0.10.0 release
                                       candidate

log4cxx 0.10.0 RC2 is now available for review for release on the
unofficial builds area.  This release candidate is strictly provided
for consideration for release, may be withdrawn and will be removed
from the publication location at the conclusion of the voting period.
RC2 is currently available at:

http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4cxx/0.10.0
/apache-log4cxx-0.10.0-rc2.tar.gz
MD5(apache-log4cxx-0.10.0-rc2.tar.gz)= e50730742e18d3a72aa17ae1c2c673ce

http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4cxx/0.10.0
/apache-log4cxx-0.10.0-rc2.zip
MD5(apache-log4cxx-0.10.0-rc2.zip)= f8b4f9855a2088aa14654885cd9535f0

The corresponding web content can be viewed directly from the staging
SVN:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/site/trunk/docs/log4cxx/index.html

The corresponding source is available at:
svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4cxx/tags/v0_10_0-rc2

log4cxx 0.10.0 RC1 was withdrawn before publication.

I believe that the release candidate is viable for release with two
condition, the publication of a corresponding 1.0b5 of cpptasks and
the conclusion of a vote by February 29th.  Rev 158 of cpptasks was
used in the preparation of the release candidate and the generated
project files should not change.  I'm a project admin of cpptasks and
intend to have that release out by mid-week next week.

The change log has a prospective release date of 2008-02-29, if
procedural issues make that date unobtainable then a rebuild to change
the date will be necessary.

The download links in the staged and embedded web content point to the
anticipated location after the release is completed.  The mirrors link
will bring up a list of mirrors, but they won't have the file yet.
The mirrors page will not be displayed with Safari due to an known
issue with Safari.

Unzipping the .tar.gz may result in a warning message that a lone zero
block at 25389.  That is a known issue with Maven (and previously with
Ant) and does not affect the usability of the archive.

The release candidate was prepared using the following software
(listed in order of impact on contents of the release):

doxygen 1.4.6
cpptasks rev 158 installed as 1.0b5.
Apache Maven 2.0.8
APR 1.2.11 source unzipped as a sibling to the log4cxx directory.
APR-Util 1.2.10 source unzipped as a sibling.
Ubuntu 6.06.1-desktop-i386 (using VM from
http://isv-image.ubuntu.com/vmware/)
gcc 4.0.3
Sun Java 1.6.0-b105

Attempting to build the release image from a non-Unix platform should
produce flawed Xcode projects.   However, any Unix derived OS would be
expected to product relatively close approximations of the release
candidate.  The following steps can be used to prepare local builds of
the release candidate for comparison:

tar -xvzf apr-1.2.11.tar.gz
mv apr-1.2.11 apr
tar -xvzf apr-util-1.2.10.tar.gz
mv apr-util-1.2.10 apr-util
export PATH=~/apache-maven-2.0.8/bin:$PATH
svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4cxx/tags/v0_10_0-
rc2 log4cxx
cd log4cxx
mvn site assembly:assembly

The contents of the src directory should be identical to the src
directory of the SVN tag.  The contents of the root directory should
be identical to the SVN tag except that it does not contain doap-
log4cxx.rdf which provides the description of the log4cxx project for
http://projects.apache.org
.

The site directory is generated by Maven and the projects directory is
generated by cpptasks the raw output of both which are tweaked by the
Ant script during assembly preparation.

mvn rat:check can be used from the root directory to generate a report
on the presence of Apache License Headers, NOTICE and LICENSE files.
The report will be produced in target/rat.txt.  The only source files
without License Headers are in src/test/resources/witness and are
reference log files used during the unit test and should fall under
the exclusions of the ASF Source License Header Policy.

The release candidate has no internal markings that it is not an
official release.   If accepted, the archive files will simply be
renamed and placed in the main distribution directory for
synchronization to the mirrors and a digital signature will be prepared.

Release will require at least 3 +1 votes from Logging Service PMC
members.  However, votes from other parties and any feedback or
experiences with the release candidate are greatly desired.  Given the
current makeup of the project, I would expect the PMC members would
verify the procedural and legal issues themselves (which is their
major responsibility on a release review) but would rely on community
feedback the content of the release.  It would be helpful if you would
report any observations, particularly successes or failures building
from the release candidate (compiler vendor and version, platform,
etc) along with your +1, 0 or -1.  PMC members should identify their
votes as binding.  I'd expect that PMC members would hold their votes
until there is some feedback from the user community.  This will be a
combined PMC and log4cxx-dev vote, a separate PMC vote will not be
called.

Unless the candidate is withdrawn, voting should be open until 06:00
GMT 2008-02-29.  All discussion should occur on
log4cxx-dev@logging.apache.org
.

For background on Apache voting, release procedures, etc:

http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html