From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] log4cxx 0.10.0 release candidate
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2008 23:45:31 GMT

On Feb 26, 2008, at 1:21 PM, Andreas Fester wrote:

> Hi Curt,
>
> I dont currently have much time to work on log4cxx,
> but a quick review of the .tar.gz file at least showed that the
> UNIX configure script is missing. This results in a dependency
> on the GNU autotools to generate the configure script and the
> Makefile.in's
> before building, instead of the straightforward ./configure; ./make;
> ./make install.
> For me, this is a must have to get the new version into the Debian
> distribution.
> Using the ant build system would add a build dependency on Java,
> which looks
> a littlebit heavy for me.

> Since you are using ubuntu to build the source package anyway, would
> it be
> possible to create the dist tarball with the GNU autotools approach?
> Or, if the "officially defined" way to create the package is the
> maven/ant approach,
> at least, I would like to have the necessary autotools files available
> in SVN.
> These are basically the Makefile.in's and a bunch of other generated
> files, like
> aclocal.m4, config.guess, configure etc.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
>
>    Andreas

Maven is generating the user documentation, cpptasks is generating the
Visual Studio and Xcode project files, so the full release packaging
is going to be Java centric.  However, that should not put any mandate
on the user to have Java, etc, unless they want to rebuild the
distribution.

I had omitted the configure and supporting files since I thought that
there might be some IP issue, but I checked and apparently other than
being careful what version of libtool etc is being used, it would be
okay to include those with the distribution.