From "Jacob L. Anawalt" <janaw...@geckosoftware.com>
Subject Re: Seeking documentation
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2008 19:55:52 GMT
renny.koshy@rubixinfotech.com wrote:
> Try this link -- it's a good tutorial on Log4J -- the concepts apply to
> Log4CXX directly:
>
>       http://www.vipan.com/htdocs/log4jhelp.html

Thank you. It was nice to have a list of some of the Appender's
PropertyConfigurator options.

I am interested in using a SyslogAppender. While wandering though the Doxygen
output reference I found that the ApenderSkeleton class reference seems to be a
reasonable place to get the list of appenders available in my version of the
log4cxx API. Among the classes inheriting from it is SyslogAppender.

What is the fully.qualified.name.of.appender.class?

The intro shows org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout while the log4cxx documentation
for Appender shows just SyslogAppender or RollingFileAppender. Is just the last
part of the name parsed? (I suspect that is the reason for bug LOGCXX-102 [1])

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-102

I see all the methods. Where do I look to see what setFacility for example looks
like in a PropertyConfigurator file? The Appender documentation shows SyslogHost
being set. Is everything with a get/set method pair a valid option for
PropertyConfigurator (and possibly the setOption function)?

Where do I learn how to use the DOMConfigurator?

The Doxygen output says there are sample XML files included in the package but I
can't find them (possibly a Debian package issue if they really were available
and should have been in the -doc package, or the files really weren't part of
the package.) The DTD link [2] in the online log4j 1.2 JavaDoc output for the
DOMConfigurator [3] is broken.

[2] http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/apidocs/org/apache/log4j/xml/log4j.dtd
[3] http://logging.apache.org/log4j/1.2/apidocs/index.html

--