From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE][RECALL] log4cxx 0.10.0-rc2
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:19:27 GMT

On Feb 27, 2008, at 4:01 AM, Ufuk Kayserilioglu wrote:
> Thank you for all your efforts in trying to get a 0.10 release out of
> the door; it was much needed.
>
> There is, however, still one issue that we see as very critical on
> Windows platforms that results in an application hang because of a
> config reload and has been reported twice to the Dev list and as
> LOGCXX-246 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-246>. The
> problem stems from a wrong assumption about Thread::stop() method call
> and the fix, as we have gone about doing it, is very simple to
> implement.
>
> Could you please consider it for the next RC as well?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Ufuk Kayserilioglu

Sorry to leave it off the list.  I was writing at the end of a long
day.  I did see the bug report minutes after posting RC2.  I haven't
had a chance to look at the issue.

My process would be to check:

How similar is the log4j and log4cxx implementations?
If they are similar is it a flaw in both implementations, or is it a
flaw in the emulation of java.lang.Thread?
How to write a test case that would identify the issue?

I won't be able to look at it for a few more days, so if anyone wants
to take a shot at answering those questions, add them as comments to
the bug report.