From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Seeking documentation
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2008 08:11:32 GMT

On Feb 26, 2008, at 12:04 PM, Jacob L. Anawalt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm starting to try log4cxx in a C++ program developed on Debian 4.0
> (etch). I read the short introduction [1] and then adapted
> information from there into my program. It has been pleasant to have
> everything so far 'just work'.
>
> I think I am now to the point where I understand everything in the
> introduction, but am not familiar enough with log4cxx, or even
> log4j, to make the jump from the introduction to the doxygen
> reference. After reading the brief FAQ on the wiki, trying for a
> couple of weeks to hit links to the mailing lists and other places
> pointing to the unresponsive nagoya.apache.org [2,3,4,5], and
> reading log4j articles I feel only slightly closer to my current
> questions and others that loom on the horizon.

The Wiki is publicly writable and I've had minimal personal
involvement other than the occasional removal of defacement.  After
the upcoming log4cxx 0.10.0 release, it would be good to go through
the Wiki and flag articles that might be outdated.

> Are there any other suggested places to read about implementing,
> configuring and using log4cxx?

log4cxx has minimal independent documentation since it attempts to
mimic log4j.  Unfortunately, log4j also has a gap between the freely
available intro and the freely available source code.  There are two
commercial log4j books but they are not products of the Apache
Software Foundation.  The priority on log4j would be to move on the
log4j 2.0 and document it during development instead of documenting
log4j 1.2 5 years or so after initial release.

> Should all the nagaya references be replaced with service names like
> mail-archives or issues? [6]

nagoya should be replaced by issues when it refers to JIRA.  Please
feel free to change those on the Wiki.