From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: NTEventLogAppender constructor linking problem
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2007 17:47:53 GMT

On Nov 26, 2007, at 12:38 AM, Vic Simkus wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm using the latest version of log4cxx (sucked down svn HEAD
> yesterday).  I'm having a weird problem linking against it.  The
> constructor for NTEventLogAppender is not being found (error bellow).
> The DLL does export it, I've verified it using the "dependency walker"
> (signature bellow).  If I call default constructor it links fine.
> Everything else seems to be working OK otherwise for the most part -
> i.e. I'm able to link the application and get logging output.  I think
> this has to do something with char/w_char/short stuffs, but not quite
> sure how to solve it.  This one has me completely stumped.  Any
> suggestions?
>
> Oh, this is all under VC2003 with SP1.
>
> Thanks
> Vic
>

> log4cxx::nt::NTEventLogAppender::NTEventLogAppender(class
> std::basic_string<unsigned short,struct std::char_traits<unsigned
> short>,class std::allocator<unsigned short> > const &,class
> std::basic_string<unsigned short,struct std::char_traits<unsigned
> short>,class std::allocator<unsigned short> > const &,class
> std::basic_string<unsigned short,struct std::char_traits<unsigned
> short>,class std::allocator<unsigned short> > const &,class
> nt::helpers::ObjectPtrT<class log4cxx::Layout> const &)
>

> Error:
>
> main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
> "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall
> log4cxx::nt::NTEventLogAppender::NTEventLogAppender(class
> std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class
> std::allocator<char> > const  ,class std::basic_string<char,struct
> std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > const &,class
> std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class
> std::allocator<char> > const &,class
> log4cxx::helpers::ObjectPtrT<class  log4cxx::Layout> const &)"
> (__imp_??0NTEventLogAppender@nt@log4cxx@@QAE@ABV?$basic_string@DU?
> $char_traits@D@std@@V?$allocator@D@2@@std@@00ABV?
> $ObjectPtrT@VLayout@log4cxx@@@helpers@2@@Z)
> referenced in function _main

The log4cxx.dll entry is consistent with a normal Windows build where
LogString == std::basic_string<wchar_t>.  That is, log4cxx uses
wchar_t (which is UTF-16 on Windows) as the internal string
representation and all logging requests are converted as necessary to
UTF-16.

The linking error appears to expect that LogString ==
std::basic_string<char> which is the normal Linux default where the
char values are UTF-8 and all logging requests are converted as
necessary to UTF-8.

This type of linking error would occur if somehow your app was
compiled with a log4cxx/log4cxx.h that was not consistent with the
DLL's version.  For the Microsoft compilers, you would expect that
log4cxx/log4cxx.h would just be a copy of log4cxx/log4cxx.hw.

Perhaps running a cygwin or MinGW build on the same checked out copy
of source could result in a mismatched log4cxx.h file.