From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Level:: symbols
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2007 19:27:31 GMT

On Aug 6, 2007, at 11:29 AM, Wilfong, Paul wrote:

> On the log4cxx site, there is a "Short introduction to log4cxx".
> http://logging.apache.org/log4cxx/manual/Introduction.html
>

> It includes the following example to set level:
> // Now set its level. Normally you do not need to set the
> // level of a logger programmatically. This is usually done
> // in configuration files.
> logger->setLevel(log4cxx::Level::INFO);
>
> But when I use this I get a compiler error.
>
> I looked at the macros (e.g. LOG4CXX_INFO) and decided to try
> "logger->setLevel(log4cxx::Level::INFO)" instead, which seems to work.
>
> Is there a reason I am having trouble with the example given in the
> "Short Introduction"?
>
> I've looked at old log4xx forum messages and have seen indications
> that the Level:: symbols were removed, but it is not clear one way
> or the other...

The on-line docs have:

logger->setLevel(log4cxx::Level::getInfo())

Any chance that you are using log4cxx 0.9.7?  Use of log4cxx 0.9.7 is
strongly discouraged due to a large number of issues that have been
fixed in the SVN.  Unfortunately, we have not yet been able to get an
ASF release out to replace that pre-ASF release.

Use of non-local static variables (like log4cxx::Level::INFO) have
been the caused of a lot of problems in log4cxx.   I had tried to
preserve the log4cxx::Level::INFO and the other levels, but their
continued presence cause problems on some platforms and there is no
way to do them right.  So any code that used log4cxx::Level::INFO
will to been changed to use log4cxx::Level::getInfo().