From "Wilfong, Paul" <paul.wilf...@ngc.com>
Subject RE: Level:: symbols
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2007 21:15:11 GMT
Thanks!

First let me apologize for a mistake I made in my original post.  I
meant to type that I had looked at the macros (e.g., LOG4CXX_INFO) and
decided to try "logger->setLevel(log4cxx::Level::getInfo())" instead,
which seems to work.

Should the "Short introduction to log4cxx"
http://logging.apache.org/log4cxx/manual/Introduction.html
be updated to add a warning that the examples are for 0.9.7?

By the way, I tracked down the forum message I mentioned previously that
mentioned the Level:: issue.  It's one you wrote dated May 29, 2006, at
10:06 AM, responding to Jitendra Kharc.

Anyway, thanks again.

-----Original Message-----
From: Curt Arnold [mailto:carnold@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2007 12:28 PM
To: Log4CXX User
Subject: Re: Level:: symbols

On Aug 6, 2007, at 11:29 AM, Wilfong, Paul wrote:

> On the log4cxx site, there is a "Short introduction to log4cxx".
> http://logging.apache.org/log4cxx/manual/Introduction.html
>

> It includes the following example to set level:
> // Now set its level. Normally you do not need to set the // level of
> a logger programmatically. This is usually done // in configuration
> files.
> logger->setLevel(log4cxx::Level::INFO);
>
> But when I use this I get a compiler error.
>
> I looked at the macros (e.g. LOG4CXX_INFO) and decided to try
> "logger->setLevel(log4cxx::Level::INFO)" instead, which seems to work.
>
> Is there a reason I am having trouble with the example given in the
> "Short Introduction"?
>
> I've looked at old log4xx forum messages and have seen indications
> that the Level:: symbols were removed, but it is not clear one way or
> the other...

The on-line docs have:

logger->setLevel(log4cxx::Level::getInfo())

Any chance that you are using log4cxx 0.9.7?  Use of log4cxx 0.9.7 is
strongly discouraged due to a large number of issues that have been
fixed in the SVN.  Unfortunately, we have not yet been able to get an
ASF release out to replace that pre-ASF release.

Use of non-local static variables (like log4cxx::Level::INFO) have
been the caused of a lot of problems in log4cxx.   I had tried to
preserve the log4cxx::Level::INFO and the other levels, but their
continued presence cause problems on some platforms and there is no
way to do them right.  So any code that used log4cxx::Level::INFO
will to been changed to use log4cxx::Level::getInfo().