From "Marshall Powers" <mpow...@appsecinc.com>
Subject RE: AIX segfault
Date Fri, 29 Jun 2007 15:31:59 GMT
<--snip-->
"The stack trace does look iconv releated, but unlike Anand's, it
doesn't appear that apr_xlate_open is returning null, but that
iconv_open is segfaulting on a request for a ISO8859-1 to UTF-8
transcoder which would seem to be an AIX bug.  The "ISO8859-1" would
make it appear like the locale is properly set.  I would try the
following:

1) Run locale to see the value of LC_CTYPE, I'm assuming it is ISO8859-1"

bash-3.00$ locale
LANG=en_US
LC_COLLATE="en_US"
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_MONETARY="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
LC_ALL=

"2) Run iconv -l to see if ISO8859-1 and UTF-8 appear in list
If ISO8859-1 is not in the iconv -l list but a slightly different
form is set the LC_CTYPE environment variable with ISO-8859-1 or  "
whatever

bash-3.00$ iconv -l
...stuff
ISO8859-1
...stuff
UTF-8

I did some research and it looks like ISO8859-1 is another name for some
standard US English encoding. I don't know if this "en_US" is possibly
causing trouble.

"3) Download the current APR and APR-util and run "make check" on apr-
util. "

bash-3.00$ make check
(cd test && make check)
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/mpowers/AIX-APR/apr-1.2.9/test'
for prog in testlockperf testmutexscope testall ; do \
                ./$prog; \
                if test $? = 255; then \
                        echo "$prog failed"; \
                        break; \
                fi; \
        done
APR Lock Performance Test
==============

apr_thread_mutex_t Tests
    Initializing the apr_thread_mutex_t (UNNESTED)          OK
    Starting 1 threads    OK
microseconds: 245057 usec
apr_thread_mutex_t Tests
    Initializing the apr_thread_mutex_t (NESTED)            OK
    Starting 1 threads    OK
microseconds: 254207 usec
apr_thread_rwlock_t Tests
    Initializing the apr_thread_rwlock_t                    OK
    Starting 1 threads    OK
microseconds: 392831 usec
apr_thread_mutex_t Tests
    Initializing the apr_thread_mutex_t (UNNESTED)          OK
    Starting 2 threads    OK
microseconds: 972323 usec
apr_thread_mutex_t Tests
    Initializing the apr_thread_mutex_t (NESTED)            OK
    Starting 2 threads    OK
microseconds: 812852 usec
apr_thread_rwlock_t Tests
    Initializing the apr_thread_rwlock_t                    OK
    Starting 2 threads    OK
microseconds: 3088038 usec
apr_thread_mutex_t Tests
    Initializing the apr_thread_mutex_t (UNNESTED)          OK
    Starting 3 threads    OK
microseconds: 2002213 usec
apr_thread_mutex_t Tests
    Initializing the apr_thread_mutex_t (NESTED)            OK
    Starting 3 threads    OK
microseconds: 1972974 usec
apr_thread_rwlock_t Tests
    Initializing the apr_thread_rwlock_t                    OK
    Starting 3 threads    OK
microseconds: 12508983 usec
apr_thread_mutex_t Tests
    Initializing the apr_thread_mutex_t (UNNESTED)          OK
    Starting 4 threads    OK
microseconds: 2919378 usec
apr_thread_mutex_t Tests
    Initializing the apr_thread_mutex_t (NESTED)            OK
    Starting 4 threads    OK
microseconds: 2919410 usec
apr_thread_rwlock_t Tests
    Initializing the apr_thread_rwlock_t                    OK
    Starting 4 threads    OK
microseconds: 29074112 usec
apr_thread_mutex_t Tests
    Initializing the apr_thread_mutex_t (UNNESTED)          OK
    Starting 5 threads    OK
microseconds: 3033266 usec
apr_thread_mutex_t Tests
    Initializing the apr_thread_mutex_t (NESTED)            OK
    Starting 5 threads    OK
microseconds: 2899733 usec
apr_thread_rwlock_t Tests
    Initializing the apr_thread_rwlock_t                    OK
    Starting 5 threads    OK
microseconds: 37269300 usec
apr_thread_mutex_t Tests
    Initializing the apr_thread_mutex_t (UNNESTED)          OK
    Starting 6 threads    OK
microseconds: 3262061 usec
apr_thread_mutex_t Tests
    Initializing the apr_thread_mutex_t (NESTED)            OK
    Starting 6 threads    OK
microseconds: 3502135 usec
apr_thread_rwlock_t Tests
    Initializing the apr_thread_rwlock_t                    OK
    Starting 6 threads    OK
microseconds: 47357268 usec
Trying proc mutexes with mechanism `default'...
  Mutex mechanism `default' is global in scope on this platform.
Trying global mutexes with mechanism `default'...
  no problems encountered...
Trying proc mutexes with mechanism `sysvsem'...
  Mutex mechanism `sysvsem' is global in scope on this platform.
Trying global mutexes with mechanism `sysvsem'...
  no problems encountered...
Trying proc mutexes with mechanism `posix'...
  Mutex mechanism `posix' is global in scope on this platform.
Trying global mutexes with mechanism `posix'...
  no problems encountered...
Trying proc mutexes with mechanism `fcntl'...
  Mutex mechanism `fcntl' is not global in scope on this platform.
Trying global mutexes with mechanism `fcntl'...
  no problems encountered...
Trying proc mutexes with mechanism `proc_pthread'...
  Mutex mechanism `proc_pthread' is global in scope on this platform.
Trying global mutexes with mechanism `proc_pthread'...
  no problems encountered...
testatomic          : SUCCESS
testdir             : SUCCESS
testdso             : SUCCESS
testdup             : SUCCESS
testenv             : SUCCESS
testfile            : SUCCESS
testfilecopy        : SUCCESS
testfileinfo        : SUCCESS
testflock           : FAILED 2 of 3
testfmt             : SUCCESS
testfnmatch         : SUCCESS
testargs            : SUCCESS
testhash            : SUCCESS
testipsub           : SUCCESS
testlock            : SUCCESS
testlfs             : SUCCESS
testmmap            : SUCCESS
testnames           : SUCCESS
testoc              : SUCCESS
testpath            : SUCCESS
testpipe            : SUCCESS
testpoll            : |

At this point, testpoll hangs. Any advice for how to remove that group of
unit tests perhaps, so we can find one that exposes this bug?

"4) Would appreciate you keeping the list advised of this one."

Done!

Thanks,
Marshall Powers