From "Rayapudi Sandeep-mgb376" <rsand...@motorola.com>
Subject RE: Using more than one logger
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2007 17:35:44 GMT
Hi Curl,

Thanks for quick response

- specified folder and file in properties do exist
- given write permissions to ALL in ../logs/sysmon.log file
- When i changed it to ConsoleAppender, it printed on console.
- It did NOT worked when i changed to FileAppender

I am using log4cxx-0.10.0 version on RHEL 3

Thnx,
Sandeep

________________________________

From: Curt Arnold [mailto:carnold@apache.org]
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 10:56 PM
To: Log4CXX User
Subject: Re: Using more than one logger

On Apr 2, 2007, at 11:28 AM, Rayapudi Sandeep-mgb376 wrote:

	Hi,

	I removed asterics and tested, but it doesnt seem to work.

	Config:
	-----------

	log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG
	log4j.logger.sysmonLogger=DEBUG, myappender

	log4j.additivity.sysmonLogger=false
	log4j.appender.myappender=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
	log4j.appender.myappender.File=../logs/sysmon.log

	log4j.appender.myappender.MaxFileSize=100KB
	log4j.appender.myappender.MaxBackupIndex=1

	log4j.appender.myappender.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout

	Program:
	---------------

PropertyConfigurator::configure(LOG4CXX_FILE("temp.properties"));
	                LoggerPtr rootLogger = Logger::getRootLogger();
	                LoggerPtr logger =
Logger::getLogger("sysmonLogger");

	                //LOG4CXX_INFO(logger,"info into R");
	                LOG4CXX_INFO(logger, "info message");
	                LOG4CXX_WARN(logger, "warn message");
	                LOG4CXX_ERROR(logger, "error message");

	In above program, i tried both
	LoggerPtr logger = Logger::getLogger("sysmonLogger");  --> in
this case, it didnt print any error while debugging with gdb
	and
	LoggerPtr logger = Logger::getLogger("sysmon"); ---> this given
"log4cxx: No appender could be found for logger (sysmon)"

	Please help me out

That there is a different behavior for Logger::getLogger("sysmon") than
for Logger::getLogger("sysmonLogger") suggests to me that your
configuration file is being read and an appender is attached to
"sysmonLogger", but it is not working as you expect.  Otherwise, I'd ask
you to confirm that your configuration file is really named
"temp.properties".

Your configuration file does specify use of a PatternLayout, but doesn't
specify a conversion pattern, but that should default to the equivalent
of:

log4j.appender.myappender.layout.ConversionPattern=%m%n

To troubleshoot, I'd check the following:

Does the ../logs directory exist and does the current user have write
privileges?  If the directory does not exist, log4cxx will not currently
create it (may change in the future).

If ../logs/sysmon.log exists, does the current user have write
privileges?

What happens if you switch from org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender to
org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender?  If you get console output, then I'd
then try just a plain FileAppender before switching back to a
RollingFileAppender.

You did not specify what version of log4cxx you are using or operating
system that you are using.  Use of log4cxx-0.9.7 is no longer supported
or recommended.