From "Matthieu Le Brun" <matthieu.leb...@comarch.pl>
Subject ODP: rollingfileappender ... not rolling?
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2007 10:47:57 GMT
Hi,

concerning this limit of 7 and max of 12 rollovered files, is there a special
reason for it ? If we need to keep more than 12 files, should we modify the code
by ourself ? It seems strange to me that there is a hardcoded limit, so there
may be a reason I'm not aware of...

Thanks,
Matthieu

Comarch Software AG;
Chemnitzer Str. 50; 01187 Dresden
Tel.: +49 351 4389 700; Fax: +49 351 4389 710
Registriert beim Amtsgericht Dresden HRB 23838
Vorstand: Anna Filipiak; Vorsitz: Katharina Bania, Tomasz Brodziak
Aufsichtsrat: Janusz Filipiak; Vorsitz: Rafal Chwast, Pawel Przewiezlikowski

  _____

Od: Curt Arnold [mailto:carnold@apache.org]
Wysłano: 17 kwietnia 2007 19:36
Do: Log4CXX User
Temat: Re: rollingfileappender ... not rolling?

On Apr 17, 2007, at 11:15 AM, Marshall Powers wrote:

I tried running the unit tests, as you suggested, and they appeared to work
fine. For kicks, I tried reducing the max file size of my
SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy to 100 bytes, as in the test case. What I saw was when
my application started, it quickly generated several log files of 100 bytes like
foo.0.log, foo.1.log, etc, but at some point the TriggeringPolicy stopped
working, leaving me with a foo.0.log file of about 50kb and growing. Do you
think this confirms the weird file-size reporting problem you were talking about
before?

Thanks,

Marshall

Doesn't sound like the file-size reporting problem or it wouldn't hit the byte
counts. I'm guessing that the triggering policy is still requesting rollovers,
it is just that the FixedWindowRollingPolicy is failing to delete the oldest log
file and is abandoning the attempted rollover. The number of retained rollovered
files is 7 (with an max of 12) once those are filled up, the oldest is deleted
(line 233 of fixedwindowrollingpolicy) so the rest can be renamed. In your
experiment did you get 7 rollovered files? Are you able to delete the oldest? I
don't think there is a unit test that checks the behavior once you start hitting
the max number of files (I'll have to check).