From "Marshall Powers" <mpow...@appsecinc.com>
Subject RE: rollingfileappender ... not rolling?
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2007 16:15:28 GMT
I tried running the unit tests, as you suggested, and they appeared to work
fine. For kicks, I tried reducing the max file size of my
SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy to 100 bytes, as in the test case. What I saw was
when my application started, it quickly generated several log files of 100
bytes like foo.0.log, foo.1.log, etc, but at some point the TriggeringPolicy
stopped working, leaving me with a foo.0.log file of about 50kb and growing.
Do you think this confirms the weird file-size reporting problem you were
talking about before?

Thanks,

Marshall

  _____

From: log4cxx-user-return-1939-mpowers=appsecinc.com@logging.apache.org
[mailto:log4cxx-user-return-1939-mpowers=appsecinc.com@logging.apache.org]
On Behalf Of Curt Arnold
Sent: 2007-Apr-17 Tue 11:52 AM
To: Log4CXX User
Subject: Re: rollingfileappender ... not rolling?

On Apr 17, 2007, at 9:42 AM, Marshall Powers wrote:

This is not a multiple-process situation. It is multi-threaded, but the
logging is wrapped in some synchronized singleton class. When I built the
library, the unit tests caused some unhandled exception, but my co-worker
assured me that the libraries were OK. So maybe getting a newer version from
the repository would make things better.

Thanks,

Marshall

Building on VC 6 will produce some test failures in PatternParserTestCase or
FileNamePatternTestCase that do not occur in VC 7 or later versions and has
not been observed with any other compiler. Never been able to find a
workaround of what appears to be a compiler or run-time library bug. I
believe the tests are checking abnormal cases, so the problems with VC 6
should not affect actual use of log4cxx.