From Davlet Panech <dp1978x_li...@yahoo.ca>
Subject Re: when/where can we get a usable log4cxx release
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 01:34:39 GMT
Curt Arnold <carnold <at> apache.org> writes:

> On Oct 23, 2006, at 12:23 PM, Jing Zheng wrote:
[...]
> > 2. provide option to link apr statically, I notice ant build has
> > such an
> > option. subversion, as of 1.4, requires apr 0.9x.
> >

> Linking apr and apr-util statically is the default with the ant
> build.  Are you saying you'd like that option with the autotools
> build, or do you have an issue or suggestion regarding the ant
> build?   I'd recommend building statically since I'm not sure that
> the APR termination is handled well if the calling app and log4cxx
> both share the same shared instance of APR.

Hello,

I may be wrong but the above explanation sounds as if the build process may
include some static libraries (APR) into a shared library (log4cxx). Isn't that
wrong? Static libs are usually compiled without -fPIC, which is, AFAIK, required
for object code that goes into shared libs on at least some platforms. See for
example this discussion:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2002/03/msg00172.html

D.