From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: failed to build with ant on Solaris2.8
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 04:08:09 GMT

On Oct 17, 2006, at 8:07 PM, Allen Liu (allliu) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I attempted to build log4cxx off the SVN repository by the
> following command:
>

> ant -v -Dapr.dir=/usr/local/apr -Dcppunit.dir=/usr/local -
> Dhas.wchar_t=0
>
> It seems to go well until building the target 'run-defaultinit-
> unittest':

> This failure (log4cxx::helpers:;IllegalArgumentException) seems
> similar to the run-time error (as well as 'make check' error) I got
> when building with ./configure and gnu make.
> Has anyone else encoutered similar error on Solaris?
>
> Thanks,
> Allen

The illegal argument exception will have been from either
APRCharsetDecoder in charsetdecoder.cpp or APRCharsetEncoder in
charsetencoder.cpp.  apr_xlate is being used (which in turn uses
iconv on most platforms) to convert char* from the current default
encoding to UTF-8 which is used as log4cxx's internal string
representation.

Could you do an "iconv -l" and see if your iconv might be calling
"UTF-8" something slightly different.