From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: failed to build with ant on Solaris2.8
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2006 22:28:40 GMT

On Oct 24, 2006, at 3:57 PM, Allen Liu (allliu) wrote:

> When I ran "locale charmap", I got "646", which I don't find in the
> list
> provided by "iconv -l". (what I can find in the list are ISO646-US,
> ISO_646.IRV:1991, ISO646_JP, ISO646_CN, etc.) I still tried "iconv -f
> 646 -t UTF-8 SOMEFILE.txt" and got "iconv: conversion from 646
> unsupported".
>
> Thanks,
> Allen

Do you find it in "locale -m" which should list the installed
locales?   ISO-646 is apparently used to indicate the 7 bit US-ASCII
character set and the _JP and _CN are likely variants with Japanese
and Chinese characters in the high 128 bits, but it seems to be
obsolete and replaced by ISO-8859.  For a western european languages,
you'd expect the encoding to be ISO-8859-n where n is most likely to
be 1 or UTF-8.  What language do you want to work in?  Are you
setting the LC_CTYPE environment variable?  What happens to the
log4cxx test if you set LC_CTYPE to UTF-8.