From "Ambarish Mitra" <ambarish_mi...@persistent.co.in>
Subject warning: has virtual functions but non-virtual destructor
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:40:35 GMT
I have written a small application using log4cxx (log4cxx 0.9.7), the code
snippet is:

   string logpropertiesfile;
   logpropertiesfile="/home/ambarish/appl1/properties.txt";
   PropertyConfigurator::configure(logpropertiesfile);

LOG4CXX_INFO(logger,"================================Initialized============
=====================");

When I compile with g++ -Wall (g++ 3.4.5), I get a lot of warning, all of
the form:

/home/ambarish/log4cxx/include/log4cxx/helpers/class.h:53: warning: `class
log4cxx::helpers::Class' has virtual functions but non-virtual destructor

Can anyone please provide pointers why these warnings comes? I would think
this is a basic thing in CPP, a class with virtual functions should have a
virtual destructor, otherwise there is a chance of memory leak. Is there a
way to solve this problem from the application perspective?

DISCLAIMER
Systems Pvt. Ltd. It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it
is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain,
copy, print, distribute or use this message. If you have received this communication in error,
please notify the sender and delete all copies of this message. Persistent Systems Pvt. Ltd.
does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.