From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: XML Receiver, connecting log4net and log4cxx
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2006 17:52:33 GMT

On Apr 14, 2006, at 7:10 AM, Eduard Rameder wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am trying to connect log4net and log4cxx by using a central
> logSocketServer. The requirements define, that the logSocketServer
> has to be
> implemented in c++ (there will be no .Net framework on the
> logSocketServer
> machine).
> My Problems:
> * there is an XMLAppender on log4net side, just sending messages to
> UDP
> * even worse: there is no XML Receiver/there is no xml-parser for
> events in
> log4cxx
>
> So I am thinking about implementing a sax parser for log4cxx. Better
> Solutions? Or already done?
>
> Happy Easter!
>
> With regards,
> Eduard

The best way to address the problem (if the goal is to get the code
into log4cxx) is to experiment with log4j (and/or chainsaw) to see
how they address the problem and then port any missing pieces into
log4cxx.  log4cxx tries to keep itself aligned with the log4j code-
base where possible.  I'm guessing the
org.apache.log4j.net.XMLSocketReceiver in the log4j 1.3 code base
would be the place to start.

For XML parsing, apr-util (part of the Apache Portable Runtime)
provides a DOM-like XML parser that is used to parse the XML
configuration files.  The underlying event parser used in Expat, but
that isn't exposed through apr-util.