From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: help: RollingFileAppender (xml configuration?)
Date Fri, 21 Apr 2006 02:48:29 GMT

On Apr 20, 2006, at 5:44 PM, brian_moody@agilent.com wrote:

> Good catch on the package name.
>
> So, reading your post on the xml validating issue, it looks like
> you did get something up and running that could be used to validate
> log4cxx xml?  Validating would be nice.

The current XML configuration format is not conducive to validation.
The effort was to define a new configuration format that was
documented, conducive to validation by XML Schema and, to some
degree, XML DTD, and avoided using log4j class names for generic
concepts.  See http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/sandbox/
strictxml/STATUS for more detail.

> What I probably need more than anything is documentation on the API
> useage and configuration.  Would you recommend the book "The
> complete manual - log4j"?  I'm spending a lot of time just
> debugging the code to figure out how an API works...

That is the best resource available in my opinion.  log4cxx attempts
to mimic log4j to minimize surprise and documentation needs, so any
good log4j documentation should be useful in understanding log4cxx.
I think that everybody would like there to be better documentation
and we'd be open if somebody wants to take it on.

> BTW, keep up the good work - this stuff kicks butt!

Thanks.