From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Localization
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:02:17 GMT
log4cxx wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm writing to see if anyone has information regarding using localization with log4cxx.
I've been working with the 0.9.8 code base from 09/27, where at least some of the l10n code
is #if 0'ed out.

>My questions are:
>1) Is l10n work in progress? stalled? finished?

The migration to Unicode and APR broke the existing resource bundle
code.  It is on the checklist for the next release but no one is
currently working on it at the moment as far as I am aware.

>2) Is there a guide to using it? I've only worked with log4j a little, so I don't have
experience with l10n that I can transfer over. Specifically,
>  3) where can I get locale information programmatically?
>  4) Can the current locale be set per thread?
>  5) What are the 'best practices' in terms of performance (smaller keys?) vs. fall back
behavior (english keys that make sense to the user if the resource bundle can't be found)?

I don't think that resource bundles are the most effective way to
accomplish localization of diagnostic messages.  There have been some
fairly long discussions on this in the jakarta commons mailing list, but
I can find an archive for it at the moment.  Basically, I like regular
expression post processing for a number of reasons as a more effective
mechanism.  Will try to find a link when I return from ApacheCON.

>Lastly, it seems that this list has been very quiet as of late. Is 0.9.8 work still progressing?

We've recently added another committer.  At the moment, I personally am
working more on log4j since there are things that need to be fixed there
to port over to log4cxx, but definitely want to get back to log4cxx.
Hopefully will see some progress over the holidays.