From Lev Lvovsky <lis...@sonous.com>
Subject general usage & syslog questions
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2005 01:10:27 GMT
Hello,

I'm new to using log4cxx, but the functionality seems very useful -
I'm looking for some directions on its uses however...

Is it correct to assume that an external file like
log4cxx.properties, or an xml config file is the best way to
configure log4cxx?  Trying to directly use the class methods for
setting up appenders seems problematic for me... I'll be glad to
expand if the two approaches are equally usable...

Using the external configuration file, I'm able to get the basic
appenders working (file and console), however in trying to get the
syslog appender to log to syslogd, I'm not getting anything.

I'm running OS X 10.4.3, and syslogd is running, with user.* being
directed to /var/log/user.log

My log4cxx.properties file is as follows:

----
log4j.rootLogger=debug, stdout, syslog, R
# Pattern to output the caller's file name and line number.
log4j.appender.stdout.layout.ConversionPattern=%5p [%t] (%F:%L) - %m%n
log4j.appender.R.File=example.log
log4j.appender.R.MaxFileSize=100KB
# Keep one backup file
log4j.appender.R.MaxBackupIndex=1
log4j.appender.R.layout.ConversionPattern=%p %t %c - %m%n
#try this
log4j.appender.syslog=org.apache.log4j.net.SyslogAppender
log4j.appender.syslog.SyslogHost=localhost
log4j.appender.syslog.Facility=user
log4j.appender.syslog.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.syslog.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{ISO8601} %-5p [%t] %
c{1} - %m%n
----

I'm able to use the Unix "logger" utility from the command line and
see messages go to /var/log/user.log, however this configuration
doesn't log my applications logs to that file.  Any help would be
appreciated!!!

thanks!
-lev