From "Jitendra Kharche" <Jitendra.Khar...@geometricsoftware.com>
Subject RE: Failed to rename log file
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:01:54 GMT

Thanks Jürgen.
Exactly, I have the same problem. I am accessing the log file from multiple processes.
But how to overcome this?

Regards,
Jitendra

-----Original Message-----
From: Habelt, Juergen [mailto:habelt@smt.zeiss.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 1:18 PM
To: Log4CXX User
Subject: Antwort: Failed to rename log file

Hello,

I had the same problem with the "RollinggFileAppender" in log4cxx 0.9.7 The reason was, the
log file was opened in a second process. this prevented the first process to rename the file
and the file was truncated to zero length in its trial to create a new empty log file (after
the rename)

Regards
Jürgen Habelt
Software - Developer
Carl Zeiss SMS GmbH
Phone : +49 (0)3641 642945
EMail :  habelt@smt.zeiss.com

             "Jitendra
             Kharche"
             <Jitendra.Kharche                                          An
             @geometricsoftwar          "Log4CXX User"
             e.com>                     <log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org>
             Gesendet von:                                           Kopie
             log4cxx-user-retu
             rn-1316-habelt=sm                                       Thema
             t.zeiss.com@loggi          Failed to rename log file
             ng.apache.org

             29.11.2005 09:05

              Bitte antworten
                    an
              "Log4CXX User"
             <log4cxx-user@log
             ging.apache.org>

Hi,

I am using Log4Cxx on Windows. I always get the following error

-----------------------------------
Failed to rename [C:\app-name/logs/event-handler.log] to [C:\app-name/logs/event-handler.log.2005-11-28].
-----------------------------------

Due to this error, in order to continue writing log, Log4Cxx overwrites the old log file.
Thus I lose the old log.

I am using DailyRollingFileAppender and my config file is as given below

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE log4j:configuration SYSTEM "./log4j.dtd">

<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/"
debug="false">
             <appender name="APP_LOGFILE"
class="org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender">
                         <errorHandler
class="org.apache.log4j.helpers.OnlyOnceErrorHandler"/>
                         <param name="File"
value="${APP_HOME}/logs/event-handler.log"/>
                         <param name="Append" value="true"/>
                         <param name="Threshold" value="warn"/>

                         <!-- Rollover at midnight each day -->
                         <!--<param name="DatePattern" value="yyyy-MM-dd"/> Does
not work-->

                         <param name="MaxFileSize" value="25MB" />
                         <param name="MaxBackupIndex" value="10" />
                                     <param name="ConversionPattern"
value="%d %-5p
                         </layout>
             </appender>